We are currently recruiting a Global Security Advisor to join our Global Program team.
This is role is open to candidates globally.
At Relief International, we are committed to building a representative, inclusive and authentic workplace. We strongly encourage applications from candidates from minoritized backgrounds those who bring lived experience of the contexts in which we work.
We are proud to be a global recruiter, hiring people from around the world. We offer competitive salaries and benefit packages for all staff, that are applied fairly and transparently. This means we are unable to advertise the salary as it is dependent on the local job market of the staff member, we will inform shortlisted candidates of the salary range as part of the selection process.
Note you must have the right to work in your home-based location and that national terms and conditions will apply.
This role is classified as requiring advanced pre-employment checks.
About Relief International.
Relief International (RI) works in 15 countries globally to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises, and chronic poverty.
About the Opportunity.
We’re looking for a team-builder and creative thinker to lead the globally-dispersed team of Security Managers keeping Relief International staff and partner communities safe in some of the most fragile settings on earth.
In this role, you will work closely with our country Security Managers, service providers and partner institutions who ensure the safety of our personnel, facilities, systems and equipment worldwide and in doing so, focus on developing capacities in all RI’s locations for analyzing, anticipating, preventing, countering, and as necessary responding to safety and security threats globally.
Harnessing cutting-edge modern technologies, critical partnerships, and best practice, you’ll collaboratively build systems and capacities, and develop and implement effective risk management processes and procedures that enable increased humanitarian and programmatic access in the most difficult parts of the world.
Some of what you will do
- Ensure Relief International’s corporate responsibility for staff duty of care while travelling and working is effectively managed
- Provide visionary and empowering leadership to Country Security Managers, Regional Security Officer and partner with RI Humanitarian Response Team, sharing experiences, knowledge and collaborating and coaching to increase cohesion and capacity
- Collaboratively design, draft and disseminate overarching safety and security policies and crisis management plans and attendant structures, in compliance with RI’s strategy and in line with humanitarian principles, humanitarian needs, Duty of Care and Gender Equality principles
- Assess, analyse, and synthesize a large volume of information and intelligence gathered by RI Teams and critical partners and swiftly provide strategic direction on mitigating threats and basic forecasting with country leadership
- Prepare security reports for the RI Board of Directors on a quarterly basis, by collecting, analysing, and presenting information on all security incidents directly affecting RI and its staff
- Be willing and able to travel extensively, often at short notice, to help RI staff navigate complex and dangerous situations. Be available to support field teams with the management of critical incidents while working in consult with regional and country leadership to clearly articulate agency risk and strategy to the Senior Leadership Team and Board.
You will bring the following experience and skills:
- Significant risk and security management experience in a large and multi-sectoral international NGO or organization
- Demonstrable experience managing risk and safety and security in field operations, across the full spectrum of programming from humanitarian assistance to development, with an understanding also of institutional needs supportive of the global mission
- Proven experience in budget development and advocate at the country level for coverage of basic security corps
- Knowledge of UN, ECHO, MOSS and other standard INGO security frameworks, and a broad network across security, humanitarian and development related sub-sectors
- A history of living and working in a fragile or conflict affected country, partnering with local stakeholders, such as international NGOS and local authorities, carrying out rapid security assessments, and after-action reviews following a humanitarian emergency
- Ability to deliver cross functional projects on time and on budget, using project management processes and tools including risk management, benefits management, financial management and quality assurance
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to influence others, to liaise with a wide range of people at all levels and across different cultures and to act with credibility, tact and diplomacy
- A great track record of excellence as a leader, with a proven history of building, guiding, and supporting teams
- A commitment to actively supporting a diverse, inclusive and equitable work environment
Research shows that women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs, unless they meet every single requirement. If you’re excited about this role, but your experience doesn’t align with every criteria described, we encourage you to apply anyway, you could be exactly what we need!
How to apply.
To apply for this post, click on the “Apply” button in the job advert page.
- You will be asked to upload a CV and Cover Letter.
- The cover letter should be two pages, and explain why you are interested in this post with Relief International and how your skills and experience make you a good fit.
Closing date: 30 September 2023
As a humanitarian organization, Relief International is committed to the safeguarding of all those we come into contact with through our work. We are committed to the core humanitarian principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse. Relief International expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment and uphold the values and behaviors outlined in the Code of Conduct.
Recruitment to all roles in Relief International include a criminal records self-declaration, references, and other pre-employment checks, which may include police and qualifications checks.